Snowflake Stenciled Pillow Cover - The Style Sisters - The Style Sisters

Snowflake Stenciled Pillow Cover - The Style Sisters

By The Style Sisters - Thursday, November 07, 2013

Recently I was invited to a gift exchange with 10 friends! Each one of us makes 10 homemade creative gifts that we exchange with each other when we gather together at one of our houses.
It is a really fun "girl's night out" each of us brings treats to share and we chit chat for a bit and then it's like Christmas morning.....We get to open up our gifts from each other..sometimes there is a funny or frustrating story that goes along with process of making the gift and this year did not disappoint! I will share pics of the party tomorrow and all the cute things they each made and tell you some of the stories...one involves SPIDERS!

I decided to make a stenciled pillow. I was inspired by the Pottery Barn "All Is Calm Pillow" HERE I wanted to write the words "Let it Snow" across the top and bottom but when I tried....it failed :( the fabric is too porous the paint from the pens just soaked right into the fabric, I tried 5 different paint pens and after 6 or 7 coats per letter it did start to look kind of like what I going for but I wasn't going to do that per letter on 11 pillows!! So I bagged that idea. Here is what it looked like.

I found this snowflake stencil at Hobby Lobby, some white acrylic paint and used a little spray adhesive on the back so it would stick to the fabric and that world perfectly. Tip- if you water down the paint even a little remember to put paper or something inside the pillow as the paint can bleed through to the other side...yeah ask me how I know (grumble grumble)

After I got the stenciled snowflakes on the pillow it just looked empty especially without some words so I looked at my pile of ribbon and laid some on there but it just wasn't working for me..then I remembered I had some rick rack..I liked it so instead of just hot glueing it on there I unzipped the pillows and sewed it on each side of the stenciled snowflakes. Tip- use tape to hold down the rick rack ...no pinning necessary!

I just used a straight stitch and it sewed up nicely.

I was afraid the end of the rick rack would unravel so I used some Fray Check on the ends to keep that from happening..it dries clear and is like glue that seals the edges..a little bit goes a long way.

I also stamped some little brown gift tags and pinned them on the pillows so that each could be given as a gift to someone.

Eleven Snowflake Pillows....I think it should be part of the 12 days of Christmas song! ;)

Here is how they looked on my sofa before I took them to the party..kind of fun mixed with my other colorful pillows don't ya think.

Linking to

The Tablescaper Betweennapsontheporch Savvy Southern style

The dedicated house knick of timeboogieboardcottage

Not just a housewife Inspiration Exchange party cuisine kathleen, stonegableblog tatertotsandjello

 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Comments

google.com, pub-6147156586187059, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0